Enjoy the best tasting turmeric chicken and rice! Turmeric is an underrated ingredient with many health benefits.
- One 5 pound chicken cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- Ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 limes, sliced
- Use salt and pepper to season chicken. In large cast iron skillet or dutch oven, melt butter and sprinkle in turmeric. Add chicken skin side down and cook over moderately high heat. Turn once, until browned on both sides. Total of 8 minutes. Once finished transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add garlic, ginger, and onion to skillet and cook until brown. Stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, curry powder, cumin, and rice. Stir constantly for about 1 minute.
- Return chicken to skillet, skin side up. Add chicken stock as well. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Adjust the lid to cover partially and simmer until rice is cooked. 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat, uncover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy! Add sliced limes for flavor.